The Asset Builder Awards are a great opportunity to publicly acknowledge youth, adults and organizations throughout Newburyport who are supporting young people through their work or character. Our story image features prior year winners. Come help recognize the 2020 winners as Newburyport Youth Services and The BEACON Coalition host the 12th Annual Asset Builder Awards happening on March 19th from 7:00-8:30 pm at the Newburyport Senior Center. Nominated by members of the community, the recipients are selected for awards based on their natural ability and desire to support youth in Newburyport. Their relationships with youth in the city are positive, encouraging, supporting and empowering. Below is the list of 2020 Asset Award winners.
2020 Asset Builder Award Winners:
Frank Crump, Newburyport School Crossing Guard
Lisa Hutchings, Joppa Flats Education Coordinator
Madison, Bridget, & Charlotte MacMillan, Outstanding Youth
Kathleen Petrie, Molin School Teacher, NPS
Richard Tierney, Newburyport Youth Hockey Coach
In 1990, Search Institute released a framework of 40 Developmental Assets, which identifies a set of skills, experiences, relationships, and behaviors that enable young people to develop into successful and contributing adults. The greater number of assets a younger person has, the lower number of high risk behaviors they get involved in. The BEACON Coalition uses this model as their framework for prevention.
Newburyport Youth Services and The BEACON Coalition will be accepting nominations for the eight main categories of the 40 Assets.
Anyone can recognize an individual or organization by submitting a nomination. The 2020 nomination deadline is February 14th and below is a list of the eight asset categories. If you missed the nomination deadline, make sure to recognize someone next year. Nominations can be filled out online and forms are also available at the Newburyport High School, Nock Middle School, Newburyport Rec Center and the Newburyport Public Library. They can be dropped off at the Newburyport Rec Center (formerly the Brown School) or mailed to 40 Milk Street Newburyport, MA 01950. For additional information regarding the event and nomination forms, please contact 978-465-4434 or Beacon@cityofnewburyport.com.
Newburyport Youth Services and The BEACON Coalition accept nominations for the eight main categories of the 40 Assets.
- Support: This award recognizes an individual or organization who actively supports and advocates for youth. More than just a good friend, this is an individual that is trusted, respected and able to connect people to the resources they need. Or a family that models healthy communication and support!
- Empowerment: Do you know of a young individual who has taken on challenges throughout the community in hopes of making a difference? Or an adult or organization that works to empower young people by building skills or creating opportunity for leadership.
- Positive Identity: We would like to recognize an organization that helps to build self-esteem in young people and/or a young person who displays a positive model of identity to his/her peers.
- Commitment to Learning: Do you know an organization that strives towards expanding the knowledge of young people throughout the community, or a young person that is dedicated to learning and pursuing further knowledge and inspire others to do the same?
- Positive Values: This award will recognize a young person who has demonstrated honesty, character and conviction in their everyday life. A person with integrity does what is right, not what is easy.
- Constructive Use of Time: Do you know an individual who uses their free time toward programs, creative activities or other positive programs? Or an organization whose purpose is to support youth in using their use of time to better themselves/others?
- Boundaries & Expectations: This award recognizes an individual who is considered an adult role model or positive peer influence. This individual has a good sense and supports appropriate family, school and neighborhood boundaries.
Social Competencies: Do you know an individual or organization who supports excels in planning/decision making, interpersonal skills, cultural competence, resistance skills, and/or peaceful conflict resolution?