Newburyport Pride will feature a series of events starting on Thursday, June 1st in addition to the month long Newburyport Pride Art Exhibit at the NAA, a great opportunity for the city to show its true colors. All are invited to participate in these welcoming North Shore Pride Month festivities; a collective local effort designed to unite and expand the celebration far beyond the Newburyport community. In addition to the Newburyport Pride Events, many other local businesses and organizations are also hosting events throughout Pride Month.
For LGBTQ+ people, “community” might mean, at minimum, acceptance, inclusion, respect, and equality. In Newburyport, all people are valued, but Newburyport Pride in the Port goes beyond the mere minimums and truly celebrates this specific segment of its population and visitors.
There is a plethora of ways that organizations and businesses are showing the love: restaurant events, dance parties, inspirational speakers, entertainment, store specials, music, teen activities, a parade, beach party, and even special NBPT Pride Merch. Newburyport Pride has something for everyone, so you can bring the kids, the grandparents, and even the pooches. Check out the Newburyport Pride events’ summary below and visit the Newburyport Events Calendar for more detailed information on each event.
Newburyport Pride Month 2023 Events:
- NBPT Pride Sunset Club kick-off Thurs. 6/1 from 4-8 p.m.
- NBPT Pride City Hall Flag Raising Ceremony w/keynote speaker Governor Maura Healey Fri. 6/2 from 4-5 p.m.
- NBPT Pride LGBTQ Dance & Comedy Event at NBPT Elks Fri. 6/2 from 6:30-10 p.m.
- Youth Pride Dance at City Hall Fri. 6/2 from 7-9 p.m.
- NBPT Pride Parade on Green Street Sat. 6/3 from 12-1 p.m.
- NBPT Pride Tea-Dance at Bar25 Sat. 6/3 from 1-5 p.m.
- NBPT Pride Concert, “The Woman Who Rode Away” at the Firehouse Sat. 6/3 from 8-10:30 p.m.
- NBPT Pride Brunch Fundraiser @ Paddle Inn Supporting, The Point Foundation, Sun. 6/4, 10-3 p.m.
- NBPT Pride Welcoming Service at First Religious Unitarian Universalist Sun. 6/4 from 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- NBPT Pride Non-denominational speaker Kimm Topping Sun. 6/4 from 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- NBPT Pride Pawrty Hosted by Sweet Paws Rescue & Riverwalk Sun. 6/4 from 12-4 p.m.
- NBPT Pride Full Moon Drumming & Closing Ceremonies Plum Island Main Beach Sun. 6/4, 8:30-9:30 p.m.
- NBPT DOCUFEST, “How to Survive a Plague” at the Screening Room Mon. 6/5 from 7-9:30 p.m.
- Jeanne Geiger Healthy Teen Relationships Workshop at City Hall Tues. 6/6 from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- NBPT Pride Week Finale Beach Party, Fri. 6/9 from 6-9 pm
- Pride in the Port Sunset Cruise – Sat. 6/10 from 7-10 pm on the Merrimack River
- NBPT Pride Art Exhibit at the Newburyport Art Association from 6/1 – 6/30. Open daily Tues – Sun.
For quick visibility to Newburyport Pride Events, download the Newburyport App and select, Events Calendar. Just search, “Newburyport” in the App Store or Play Store and download the free app. If you are unable to make it to Newburyport in person, you can view some of the festivities on the Newburyport.com Live Web Cams, also accessible through the Newburyport App.
Pride Month is meant to encourage LGBTQ+ people to be proud of who they are (in a world that can often make that difficult), and that’s certainly important, but the Pride in the Port event is also meant to show LGBTQ+ residents and visitors that Newburyport is proud to have them. As Mayor Sean Reardon said, “We are committed to being a city that is welcoming to all, and to creating…safe spaces and positive experiences for all…people.”
For more LGBTQ+ and Pride resources, check out: Newburyport Pride, Newburyport Public Library, Newburyport Youth Services, and NAGLY (North Shore Alliance of GLBTQ Youth).
2023 Newburyport Pride Speech by Governor Maura Healey at the Flag Raising Ceremony
2022 Newburyport Pride in the Port Celebration