Best of Newburyport
American Gold Prospecting Adventures
10% Off Gold Prospecting Classes & Adventures
Learn How to Find Gold & Gems in New England & Arizona
Looking for a new and exciting way to enjoy the outdoors and find gold & gems? American Gold Prospecting Adventures offers hands-on gold prospecting and gem hunting classes and adventures on the rivers and streams of New England and the hills and deserts of Arizona.
- Learn all about gold and gems, where they come from, and where to find them
- Learn panning, sluicing and rock hounding techniques
- All equipment included for use that day
- Keep all the gold & gems you find!
Locations are in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Arizona. Here is a typical gold prospecting class in a nutshell:
- We discuss the sources of gold, specifically the area we are in, and how it moves
- How to choose a good spot to prospect, reading a river, and good digging techniques
- Panning techniques, the most critical step in effective prospecting
- Hands on panning instruction
- Setting up and running a sluice and gold trap
- And of course, finding some gold!
This is a great adventure for anyone 12 years old and up. We offer discounts for groups of 6 or more. And you’ll receive a 10% discount off 3 or 6 hour classes or adventures if you use your Newburyport.com VIP card or App.
Leave Newburyport Harbor and head out to the Atlantic Ocean to see Humpbacks, Minkes, Finbacks and other marine life along the New England Coast. Newburyport Whale Watch naturalists will guide the 4-hour tour out to Jeffries Ledge or wherever the whales are playing.
The Maritime heritage in Newburyport runs deep and The Custom House Maritime Museum is the ultimate destination for all residents and visitors with a curiosity about Newburyport's rich maritime history. Come hear stories of local families, their voyages and see model clipper ships and displays of famous shipwrecks.
Did you know that there was a gold rush in New England in the mid 1850’s? The Vermont Gold Mining Company was established in 1854 and they erected a crushing mill with crushers, stampers and washers, experimenting with how to separate the gold from the quartz matrix.