How best to prepare and organize moving to a new home. The good news is our step by step checklist is easy to follow. We break these tasks down into smaller tasks to ensure you will not miss anything regarding the move. After all, you want to make the entire transition as smooth as possible for you and your family. Thus, you can properly plan your move with the help of these essential tips. Here’s our useful checklist: How best to prepare and organize moving to a new home-
- Budget. First things first, you need to set up a budget for the upcoming move. Without a definite budget plan, you may have a hard time going through the entire moving process. A few months before moving into your new house, be sure to set aside enough money for the relocation itself. The earlier you dedicate money for your move, the better.
- Moving inventory. Don’t wait for the mover to provide you with an inventory of all your belongings. It’s important you have an inventory of your own to make sure you know what you’re moving. That way, you’ll be able to plan your packing efficiently.
- Unused and unnecessary items. After the inventory, it’s about time to walk through your house and identify the items which you don’t use or need anymore. Remember, moving is the best time to sort and purge. Deciding on items you are keeping, disposing and possibly donating will enable you to save on your purchase of moving boxes. Be sure to take photos of items you are donating for tax purposes.
- Size of your new house. It’s essential to check and measure the size of your new house so you’ll have an idea what items you should bring to your new place. Before your final move-in date, be sure you’ve visited your new home and have the area measured to figure out what furniture and other home items you should include in the transit.
- Moving Quotes. Be sure these moving quotes are written and binding. Not only that but you should make sure the price offered is within your budget; make sure you give yourself ample time to gather and analyze your quotes. The key here is to get your estimates early enough before the move. Moving company pricing/quotes can be affected at different times of the year: around school stops and starts, moving at the end of the month, just before or after the summer and around big holidays. So be smart and book early!
- Moving insurance. While you’re making some arrangements with your prospective moving company, check whether they are bonded and have adequate insurance for your move and belongings protection. Thus, always look for a licensed and insured mover for the safety of all your belongings.
- Utilities. Arrange to have your local services turned on at your new house: water, electricity and internet services. It’s better to have these utilities and services live at your new house just before moving day to avoid extra hassle with regard to your family.
- Packing supplies. Be sure to have all the necessary packing supplies beforehand so your packing task is efficient. Fragile furniture and kitchen wares, may call for bubble wrap and specialty containers. Using colored markers with smart labels for your moving boxes will allow the moving foreman to create teams for the movers to deliver the boxes and furniture to the proper floor or room correctly. Proper labeling will make for move time efficiency with less errors of moving boxes more than once.
- Secret Best Moving Tip. Use one (1) box and label it OPEN FIRST BOX! Here’s what to pack in the OFB: chargers for all your phones etc., coffee maker or teapot, coffee, filters, teabags, coffee mugs or tea cups, knife, fork and spoon set for each family member, Paper plates, toilet paper, paper napkins, roll of paper towels, Kleenex, bottle opener, hand towels, bath towel for each family member, toothpaste, dog or cat bowl, animal food, leashes and bags for walking dog, and plastic trash bags. You will be so happy when you arrive at your new house and you order a pizza!
- Change of address. Be sure to stop mail at your current address. Visit your local post office and inform them about the move. In addition, fill out additional change-of-address forms for your subscriptions etc.to be forwarded to your new address.
The Bottom Line
Moving doesn’t have to be stressful! If you’re too busy to make the necessary preparations in advance, hire competent movers to minimize the burden of moving. Entrusting your move to the professionals knowing they’ll handle your needs properly – from packing to safely transporting to your new house.