Market Square Historic District
Newburyport Urban Renewal Project
Newburyport’s Market Square Historic District definitely has a past.
Once a meeting place between American Indians and early explorers from England, France and Holland, Market Square was used to trade furs and fish back in the 1700’s given it’s closeness to the Merrimack River.
This all came to an end in 1811 when Market Square was destroyed by a major fire.
As part of a 20-year HUD Urban Renewal Project the brick structures were rebuilt, giving Market Square a Federalist charm that now spotlights its beautiful 19th century architecture.
Included in this Historic District is the 1823 Market House and the Custom House Maritime Museum on Water Street, as well as the buildings on State, Merrimac and Liberty Streets.
Market Square was then listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. It is now known as the largest piece of Federalist-era architecture in the U.S. full of brick row houses with shops and restaurants below.
Newburyport – A Measure of Change
YouTube | @indyjerry77
View in detail the Square’s Master Planning by Finegold Alexander Architects.