Whether you’re a local or looking to take a day trip, celebrating Mother’s Day in downtown Newburyport is a great way to say thank you to the special ladies in your life. From delicious brunch spots to unique shops to purchase a special gift, this waterfront town is the perfect destination for a fun family day. And come back any day of the week to grab a bite at one of Newburyport’s delicious breakfast spots!
Mother’s Day Brunch & Dinner Specials:
Give mom a break from the kitchen on Mother’s Day and head to one of these wonderful Newburyport area restaurants. Whether you’re looking for an inventive menu, outdoor seating, kid-friendly options, or a tasty cocktail menu, Newburyport is the perfect place to go brunching or enjoy or wonderful dinner. Most places take reservations online or you can call the restaurant directly.
- Brine: If you’re looking to indulge in some oysters on Mother’s Day, book a coveted table at this oyster, crudo, and chop bar. While Brine is normally not open for brunch, they create a special menu for all the moms out there on Mother’s Day. Hit the raw bar and enjoy some of their super creative cocktails. Tables are limited, with additional sidewalk seating on a nice day. Reservations are strongly recommended.
- Joy Nest: This large two-story restaurant, including a side outdoor patio area, features creative Thai street food in a jazzy speakeasy atmosphere. While they won’t be open for brunch, the Joy Nest will be serving the regular menu both Saturday and Sunday plus a few specials each day as well, consider heading here for lunch or dinner.
- Mission Oak Grill: A traditional steak house and seafood restaurant with a few Brazilian inspired dishes, Mission Oak Grill will be serving brunch from 12 – 2 and the dinner menu all day on Mother’s Day, plus they will be offering a selection of Chef Specials.
- Paddle Inn: For a casual yet hip experience, you will want to grab a table at this brunch spot. Serving up classic coastal foods from communities around the world, The Paddle Inn has a delicious brunch every Sunday. Menu favorites include the donut hole boat, breakfast burrito, and tableside bubbly with assorted fresh juices. On Mother’s Day, the restaurant will feature the regular brunch menu, plus a couple of specials. The Paddle Inn does not take reservations, so it’s a great option if you want to just pop in for a bite.
- Seaglass Restaurant & Lounge: This restaurant is right on Salisbury Beach offering panoramic views of the ocean. On Mother’s Day they will be offering a reservation only brunch with pastries, made to order omelets, a carving station and more! There will even be an ice cream sundae bar for the kids…or the moms!
- Sea Level Oyster Bar: This downtown Newburyport restaurant features a beautiful, spacious nautical interior seating area as well as outdoor seating in front of the restaurant if you like to be in the center of the action and on the back side of the restaurant if you prefer a picturesque view of the Merrimack River. Sea Level is serving brunch from 10:30 – 3 and they also a great choice if you prefer to treat Mom to dinner.
And while The Grog and Plum Island Beachcoma are also not brunch spots, they deserve an honorable mention for casual family-friendly destinations to grab lunch or dinner. Both restaurants will have live musical entertainment on Mother’s Day too!
Where to Shop:
Newburyport is filled with one-of-a-kind shops to spoil any mom. Go on a spree before Mother’s Day to surprise her, or shop together after visiting one of the brunch spots and pick up something special. For the perfect piece of jewelry stop by Kaya Jewelers for something more traditional or visit Pam Older Designs for handcrafted pieces. Got a mom that likes to kick back and relax? Grab her some bath supplies and cozy PJ’s at Soak & Shoreline. Or pop into Nauti Pearl for a great selection of unique and clothing and accessories for the mom that already has everything. And of course flowers and sweets are welcomed by all moms, so be sure to check out these locations below!
- Nunan Florist and Greenhouse: Flowers for Mother’s Day are a traditional gift, but a visit to Nunan has so much more to offer than a simple bouquet. If you have a mom that loves gardening, Nunan is a dream. Take her on a shopping spree at the greenhouse to pick out plants, shrubs and flowers for your home. You can even make the visit a family day and grab an ice cream cone and play a round of mini golf at their course!
- Beach Plum Flower Shop: If you are looking for the traditional bouquet of flowers, look no farther than this flower shop located at the Tannery. Call ahead or stop in to create the perfect floral arrangement filled with mom’s favorite flowers.
- Simply Sweet: For moms with a sweet tooth, this old school candy shop is a must. They have everything from homemade chocolates to nostalgic candy to caramel apples. Grab a bag of something sweet to stroll through town snacking on or save the candy for later and order an ice cream cone.
You’ve brunched, you’ve shopped— now don’t forget to plan some extra fun too! Moms are used to doing all the planning, so plan a little fun just for her.
- Newburyport Whale Watch: You’re in a coastal town, so why not hop on a boat and hit the high seas? Set sail on the Captain Lady III and go on a whale watch.
- Sole to Soul: If your mom is always on the go, give her tired feet a rest and book her an appointment at this foot spa where she will be pampered with a relaxing foot soak and massage.
- Plum Island Kayaking: If your mom has a sense of adventure, book a tour by kayak or paddle board to explore the area. You’ll have the chance to see seals, local birds, and the sunset, depending on when you go out.
All listed businesses are part of the Newburyport.com VIP program, so make sure to check out your discounts before you visit! And for even more ways to explore Newburyport and support local shops, visit our full list of VIP Businesses.