Whether you’re a local or looking to take a day trip, celebrating Mother’s Day in downtown Newburyport is a great way to say thank you to the special ladies in your life. From delicious brunch spots to unique shops to purchase a special gift, this waterfront town is the perfect destination for a fun family day. And come back any day of the week to grab a bite at one of Newburyport’s delicious breakfast spots!
Give mom a break from the kitchen on Mother’s Day and head to one of these mouth-watering brunch spots. Whether you’re looking for an inventive menu, outdoor seating, kid-friendly options, or a tasty cocktail menu, Newburyport is the perfect place to go brunching. Most take reservations online or you can call the restaurant directly.
- Ceia Kitchen+Bar: This state street bistro, complete with an outdoor patio, focuses on delicious farm to table meals that will not disappoint. The chef whips up a special brunch menu for certain holidays and Mother’s Day is no exception. Pair your meal with a glass of vino from their extensive wine list or try out a brunch cocktail. Ceia takes reservations so book in advance to secure a table.
- Brine: If you’re looking to indulge in some oysters on Mother’s Day, book a coveted table at this oyster, crudo, and chop bar. While Brine is normally not open for brunch, they create a special menu for all the moms out there on Mother’s Day. Hit the raw bar and enjoy some of their super creative cocktails. Tables are limited, with additional sidewalk seating on a nice day. Reservations are strongly recommended.
- The Paddle Inn: For a casual yet hip experience, you will want to grab a table at this brunch spot. Serving up classic coastal foods from communities around the world, The Paddle Inn has a delicious brunch every Sunday. Menu favorites include the donut hole boat, breakfast burrito, and tableside bubbly with assorted fresh juices. On Mother’s Day, the restaurant will be featuring a delicious lobster crepe special. The Paddle Inn does not take reservations, so it’s a great option if you want to just pop in for a bite.
- Plum Island Grille: If ambiance is important, look no farther than this gem just over the bridge on Plum Island, featuring sweeping views overlooking the marshes. While many dine here for the sunsets, they also host a delicious weekly Sunday brunch with live jazz music. Enjoy brunch classics like Belgium waffles and crepes along with super fresh seafood choices, including a raw bar.
- Seaglass Restaurant & Lounge: This restaurant is right on Salisbury Beach offering panoramic views of the ocean. On Mother’s Day they will be offering a reservation only brunch with pastries, made to order omelets, a carving station and more! There will even be an ice cream sundae bar for the kids…or the moms!
- Brick & Ash: This large two-story restaurant, including a small outdoor patio area, features modern bar food in a fun, laid back atmosphere. While they won’t be open for brunch, if your party includes kids, consider heading here for lunch or dinner. Brick & Ash has a great menu for younger diners and pool, darts, and shuffle board to keep everyone busy. Exclusively for Mother’s Day, the restaurant will be offering up specialty mom inspired cocktails AND taking reservations (usually they do not) so call ahead!
And while The Grog and Plum Island Beachcoma are also not brunch spots, they deserve an honorable mention for casual family-friendly destinations to grab lunch or dinner. Both restaurants will have live musical entertainment on Mother’s Day too!
Where to Shop:
Newburyport is filled with one-of-a-kind shops to spoil any mom. Go on a spree before Mother’s Day to surprise her, or shop together after visiting one of the brunch spots and pick up something special. For the perfect piece of jewelry stop by Kaya Jewelers for something more traditional or visit Pam Older Designs for handcrafted pieces. Got a mom that likes to kick back and relax? Grab her some bath supplies and cozy PJ’s at Soak & Shoreline. Or pop into Nauti Pearl for a great selection of unique home decor and clothing for the mom that already has everything. And of course flowers and sweets are welcomed by all moms, so be sure to check out these locations below!
- Nunan Florist and Greenhouse: Flowers for Mother’s Day are a traditional gift, but a visit to Nunan has so much more to offer than a simple bouquet. If you have a mom that loves gardening, Nunan is a dream. Take her on a shopping spree at the greenhouse to pick out plants, shrubs and flowers for your home. You can even make the visit a family day and grab an ice cream cone and play a round of mini golf at their course!
- Beach Plum Flower Shop: If you are looking for the traditional bouquet of flowers, look no farther than this flower shop located at the Tannery. Call ahead or stop in to create the perfect floral arrangement filled with mom’s favorite flowers.
- Simply Sweet: For moms with a sweet tooth, this old school candy shop is a must. They have everything from homemade chocolates to nostalgic candy to caramel apples. Grab a bag of something sweet to stroll through town snacking on or save the candy for later and order an ice cream cone.
You’ve brunched, you’ve shopped— now don’t forget to plan some extra fun too! Moms are used to doing all the planning, so plan a little fun just for her.
- Newburyport Whale Watch: You’re in a coastal town, so why not hop on a boat and hit the high seas? Set sail on the Captain Lady III and go on a whale watch.
- Sole to Soul: If your mom is always on the go, give her tired feet a rest and book her an appointment at this foot spa where she will be pampered with a relaxing foot soak and massage.
- Plum Island Kayaking: If your mom has a sense of adventure, book a tour by kayak or paddle board to explore the area. You’ll have the chance to see seals, local birds, and the sunset, depending on when you go out.
All listed businesses are part of the Newburyport.com VIP program, so make sure to check out your discounts before you visit! And for even more ways to explore Newburyport and support local shops, visit our full list of VIP Businesses.